Home Insurance

Your Home is your most important Asset. Make sure it’s protected.

California Homeowner’s Insurance Policies

A home insurance policy has many details that need careful consideration when it comes to deciding on what coverage you would need.

Following are the things California’s Home Insurance policies cover:

  • Your Residence
  • Detached Structures (Garages workshops, fences, dog kennels, garden sheds etc.)
  • Your Belongings (Including when you’re away from home.)
  • Living Expenses
  • Personal Liability
  • Medical Expenses

2 Types of Coverage for Home Insurance:

There are two types of coverage for your possessions under your Homeowners Insurance Policy: Actual Cash Value and Replacement Cost Coverage.

  • Under Actual Cash Value, the insurance will cover the cost of replacing the property minus an allowance for depreciation. If you have, say, older furniture, that allowance could be quite significant. Unless your policy specifically says it provides replacement cost coverage, the coverage is for actual cash value.
  • Under Replacement Cost Coverage, the insurance company will cover the cost of replacing property that is damaged or stolen, up to a maximum dollar amount. Replacement cost is better for you, the homeowner.

To insure your house appropriately, you want to make sure that you have enough coverage to rebuild your home in case it gets destroyed. That means the limit on your home insurance policy should be equal to the cost to replace your home.

The replacement value is calculated on a “cost per square foot” basis: take the square footage of your house and multiply it by the average square foot building rate in your area. Your insurance agent will be able to help you calculate the replacement value.

Unfortunately, there are certain exceptions to the coverage on your homeowner insurance in California. These exceptions generally include loss due to flooding, earthquake, landslide and certain other perils. If you live in a flood or earthquake prone area, or on a hillside, you might wish to consider buying additional protection for these perils.

There are other limitations in the homeowners insurance policy: Although there is coverage for the contents in your home, this coverage is limited for certain valuables, including jewelry, art, and computer equipment.

As a rule of thumb, if you have a collection or an individual item worth at least $500, you should consider additional coverage options by buying a personal property endorsement or “floater”.

A “floater” is attached to your homeowner’s policy and provides the additional coverage you need. The higher the value of the items you’d like to insure, the more the added-on coverage will cost.

Premiere Xpress Insurance

7016 University Avenue
La mesa, CA 91942



License #:  0L97485

Quick Links

© 2017 Premier Xpress Insurance Services